Monday 19 May 2014

"You may say I'm a dreamer..."


source:play school

When asked the question 'what's your dream job?' I wonder what first pops into your head?

Are you blank? Or do you have a clear and definite answer?

Do you see it in pictures - like a movie where you are the star?

Are you currently in pursuit of this vision or does it feel like an impossible dream?

Perhaps it isn't a specific job role but rather a set of conditions and circumstances that bring you a specific feeling.

For me a dream job is simply the pursuit of something you love or are passionate about where you receive (hopefully) appropriate remuneration. A job where 99.9 percent of the time you can't wait to get there and time seems to fly while you are doing what you do. In a dream job you feel authentic and true to who you are. You feel full and connected to your power.

And most importantly a dream job is personal - it's about you and only you. Remember the significant media discussion when Andre Agassi released his autobiography? He revealed that when he was one of the world's top tennis players he hated tennis.  A dream job is not necessarily doing what you are good at.

I feel incredibly lucky because when I am asked 'what's your dream job?' I can easily say I am doing it. Yes I would like to earn more income or maximise that income/output ratio. Yes I wish to work more hours without compromising my other responsibilities. Yes I want to work with new people in different environments. And I am also certain my idea of 'the dream job' will be dynamic - it will evolve and develop as I grow and change.

There is one particular dream job for me that I know (at my life stage) I will never accomplish. I have always wanted to be a host on Play School. Yes - the thought of hanging with Big Ted, Humpty and Jemima and really playing is my ideal. Oh well - in another lifetime perhaps?

I would love to hear where you are at in pursuing your dreams.  And let me you if you need any assistance -  I would love to help!


Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life - Confucius

3 comments:

  1. Love this post...so much of what u have said is true and really makes u think! Love ure dream to host Play School! U never know what the future holds ;) xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it is brilliant that you are living the dream. May it only get better!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Simone, you would have been brilliant on Play School! And....even though that particular dream was not realised, that doesn't mean there isn't something even more magical waiting for you just around the corner which will be a perfect fit to your passion, creativity and skills!

    My dream changes and being a Gemini, I couldn't settle for just one dream anyway ;) When I was young, I wanted to be a vet because I absolutely love animals. Unfortunately, I do not have the stomach for the gross aspects of surgery, so that turned out not to be a suitable fit. I still love animals, especially dogs (little yap yap dogs are my favourite!) and my dream was to be wealthy enough that I could buy my own island and rescue all the abandoned, unloved, mistreated dogs and bring them to Paradise where they would be cared for, fed, nurtured and have space to run, play, stiff all the wonders in nature in unpolluted air! Obviously I couldn't rescue them all...or perhaps I could? Go big or go home right? My other dreams are to travel the world and be on stage as an international empowerment speaker, and then on weekends, I want to race V8 supercars! How's that for a mixed bag? xo

    ReplyDelete