Thursday 1 May 2014

What's your goal for today? A blog every day in May challenge




Last night as I was 'surfing the net' (did I really just say that?!) I stumbled across a challenge to blog every day for the month of May.  And I've decided to take on this project to help me get into the practice of blogging.

The prompt for Day One is goal-setting and asking yourself  'what's my goal for today?' (There's is SO much information out there you can read about goal-setting.  You might like to start here.)  I suppose another way to look at this is to ask yourself  'what do I plan to do today that will help me fulfil my hopes and dreams?'

Personally I find setting goals quite a curious exercise. I intellectually understand the power of goal-setting and how it is an integral part of achieving ... anything.  Yet when numbers and deadlines come into play I find myself running in the complete opposite direction from the place I actually want to go.  When I am required to externalise my goals - tell someone specifically what they are - I can become quite commitment-phobic. I am really not sure if these reactions have any particular meaning other than I need to be kinder to myself when it comes to the subject of goal-setting. I prefer to have a plan. Keep it flexible. See where it takes me.

Despite some of my ambivalence around the concept of 'goal-setting' I do think it's really important to do something every day that moves you further along your creative journey. You need to 'work your business' every day.

For some this daily commitment to their process is simple and in-built. A dancer stretches and moves. A musician practices the scales and set list. A painter completes a few quick sketches. A writer commits to meeting the page or computer. A director completes the next task on the project list. But what about an actor?  What do you do each day as part of your daily practice?

My plan for today was to meet a good friend (foster my relationships) and write a blog post (work on my business).  DONE!

In between goals is a thing called life, that has to be lived and enjoyed - Sid Caesar




4 comments:

  1. Great start here, Simone! So glad to have you on board for this challenge :) Sunday

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post, I love your thoughts on goal setting-tis definitely important to have a life in between lol!x

    ReplyDelete