Wednesday 28 May 2014

Family Fun




Despite my generational history of dysfunction and trauma the one thing my family is really good at is having fun.  We really do know how to have fun!

I have many memories of playing spontaneous games, performing in impromptu concerts, listening to funny (and spooky) stories, singing and dancing to great music. Big parties. Lots of laughter and high spirits. With my parents, sibling, aunties and uncles, cousins and grandparents.

The fact I had young parents and young relatives contributed greatly to this family fun mantra. My mum and dad didn't shut up shop on their social lives when they became parents. They took us to all their parties when we were little children. And they joined us at many a rock/pop concerts in our teenage and adult years.

Time brings many changes. Loved ones lost. Relationships broken. New members of family are introduced.

And now as my parents re-partner and my brother and I establish nuclear families of our own I feel we are leaving the positives of our family behind. I truly miss the sense of fun we once experienced and enjoyed. It's not a yearning for days gone by. No way do I want to revisit the past. I do long for the easiness for familiarity, the freedom of no responsibility and being available to light and laughter. I miss that celebration of fun.

There are moments. But oh so fleeting.

The mixing of family of origins is often a tricky process. I have found that the 'other' becomes the dominant experience. And I don't like that. I want my daughter to receive this positive tradition from me. I want her to feel like she comes from a fun and playful environment.

And so daily I create experiences and accept invitations which embrace my history and understanding of family. For her. For me. And for all my loved ones.

Did your family have an essence? Is there anything missing from your 'new' family?  What do you need to let go of and what do you need to embrace from your personal family history?

My family is my strength and my weakness - Aishwarya Rai Bachchan

8 comments:

  1. Beautiful post, it is often sad when the family unit changes. New beginnings can often bring reflection which allows us to make things better though!x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Arline you are so right about new beginnings

      Delete
  2. The essence of my family was my father. He was bigger than life and good all the way to his soul. I didn't realize until he was gone how much he influenced our family. And when it all changed, I was unprepared. It has made me a better communicator and a better partner with my husband. I want our kids to have memories and to KNOW our truth even if one of us is gone. I want family to always be family, I guess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is a beautiful realisation Lisa. Thank you for sharing.

      Delete
  3. I also come from a disfunctional background and have been with my husband for 31 years, being able to have fun and laugh has saved us. You have written your story beautifully x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Deb. It's amazing what a laugh can heal.

      Delete
  4. Fun Continues for the YOUNG Clan , as the Master of fun enjoyed a day @ the Brisbane races on Saturday.....Nothing better than Sun on our faces, Horses lining up at the post, Drinks never-ending and Banter with friends alike....going home with an extra cent in our pockets is always good too !! Giddy Up

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh so there is hope for us all!! Thank you so much for your comment. You have touched my heart.

      Delete