Tuesday 27 May 2014

Project Me




I have never seen myself as one with a passion for projects.

Yet on reflection I realise I often have a relationship project brewing away.

My recent project history looks something like this:
Project find someone to spend the rest of my life with - DONE
Project swan around as a blissfully happy couple - DONE
Project have a fur-baby - DONE 
Project get pregnant and have child - DONE
Project avoiding disappearing into the hopeless depths of darkness - CONTINUING 
Project try to have another child - FAILED SPECTACULARLY
Project I quit sugar - CONTINUING

My 2014 project is Project Me.  It's about me making a commitment to the relationship I have with myself.   Many moons ago in my first experience of therapy my therapist would talk again and again about working/improving 'the relationship with yourself'. I honestly had absolutely no idea what she was talking about. Session after session I would simply smile and nod my head in agreement - I was a major people pleaser even in therapy - and think to myself  'what on earth is she talking about?!?!'

(Note: if you do not understand what your therapist is saying TELL THEM. In fact if you don't understand anything that anyone says to you TELL THEM!)

Project Me (currently) comprises of four components:
  1. Meditate daily
  2. Eat clean
  3. Move more
  4. Have fun
It's a process. It's a framework from which I am trying to make choices and decisions. I imagine this project will see me through to the end of 2014 and many years beyond. I now have both an emotional and intellectual understanding of those words my therapist spoke to me all those years ago. And I realise for me to take on any new projects in the future I need to have a rock solid foundation in Project Me first. 

I have an everyday religion that works for me. Love yourself first, and everything else falls into line - Lucille Ball

      


8 comments:

  1. You have chosen your four components wisely, I think. I would struggle (heck, I do struggle) with the eat clean part. I've given up white flour and I nearly broke into tears driving by my favorite pizza place the other day! Good luck with Project Me. (I'm a pleaser also - my entire life!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Lisa. I'm really struggling at the moment with clean eating. It's so frustrating!!

      Delete
  2. Good advice about clarifying the therapist's words.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep I think it's really important to see the therapist as a person not an expert!!

      Delete
  3. Great project, it's really important to have some me time and to work on yourself. I think I'm just learning that and not sure I would have if I hadn't had a child...it was just work work work before! Good luck!xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Having a child invites you to learn so many new things about oneself.

      Delete
  4. I can relate to many of your projects.
    I love 'Project Me' most of all.
    I'm not sure how keen I am on 'Project I quit sugar', though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Corinne. I am so not keen on I quit sugar but for me it needs to be my reality. I had a great six months off it and I've been recently struggling to get back on the wagon. I think I need some hypnosis!!!!!

      Delete