Tuesday 13 May 2014

What's in a name?


Even though I am very new to this blogging caper I did quite a lot of research and planning about 18 months ago. I was adamant that I was not going to use my personal name for the blog. There is another internationally famous Simone Young out there and I did not want to get lost/confused/bypassed. I liked the name 'The Acting Coach' but it was already taken. I needed to investigate further.

I put out a call for suggestions from a number of old friends in the business and I got some great feedback.  I really loved many of the suggestions. Yet when I discussed the naming of the blog with my mentors separately they both agreed that using my name would be the ideal way to go.

So here I am with a Blogger account name that contains what I do and what I am called. I have a domain name too that I have yet to successfully attach to this blog. And that's okay because I think I want to change it. The experimenting continues.....

Through out this process I do not think I have asked for any suggestions from the guy I live with and the father of my child.  For privacy sake I shall call him Mr G.  Mr G is particularly good at naming things. It's actually one of his most favorite things to do! He loves to think up names for new bands or songs. He recently came up with a great tag line for my friend's play - forget Don's party this is Dougie's barbie - which became quite controversial. When I was about to give birth to our child he suggested we use our first name as the child's middle name (along gender lines) which I agreed to as I had no idea what we were having. (He did know the baby's gender as he asked the doctor at the 20 week scan so in hindsight he gave me such an honour).

Today I did asked Mr G to give me a list of five possible new names for the blog. He was very interested and he started thinking.  I began to walk away and he said 'where are you going? I'm thinking'. And I replied 'yes and I'm not going to watch you think'. A moment later he calls out from the other room. 'What about Blah Blah Blog? Do you like it?'  I say 'well that's not the point. Any other suggestions?' He says 'answer my question - do you like it?' And we then found ourselves in a little disagreement.

Does this interaction sound familiar to you?

Yesterday I neglected to mention Mr G in my post about Mother's Day. Without his assistance my child would not have been able to purchase me a gift. Without his culinary skills I would not have enjoyed breakfast in bed.  So Mr G thank you for making Mother's Day 2014 a memorable one. My appreciation for you is truly beyond your understanding - it's bittersweet.

What a heavy burden is a name that has become too famous - Voltaire



9 comments:

  1. I enjoyed reading this, sounds like some conversation you might find around here from time to time. lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked reading this blog post, and can see where the disagreement would had started on the name call. It seems that when you have to think a name it's not as easy as one would think. It's odd usually when I get asked from someone else I can give them 5 ideas, they may not like any, but the fact I can give them 5 when I struggle for so long with my own, is just darn right annoying.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha that's such a great story! We have those kind of conversations at my place all the time :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ladies I'm glad you appreciate this story too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think one day the name will come to you. And it will be perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is so interesting Simone - "what's in a name?" They say that everybody changes their name at least once during their lifetime. Whether they choose to take their middle name as their first, or shorten their name, go by a nickname or officially change their name to something else either by marriage or preference. I too have been challenged deciding on names for business ventures and my blogging name. To date, I have not used my name and have created something else. Why is that? Why do I need /want the anonymity? It is curious to ponder. Particularly when it is so important to me that in my life people spell my name correctly - as it has been spelled incorrectly for most of my life! Is that why I choose not to use my name? I think there's something very powerful about you "putting out there" your passion and what you do asserting "actingcoach" as well as connecting it with your personally revealing your name. Well done! xo

    ReplyDelete