Sunday 1 June 2014

Baby it's cold outside...





It is the first day of winter in my part of the world. It has rained all day.

Usually I would stay inside and avoid hair frizz. But today I did something different.

I kept my plans to meet a friend for breakfast at an outdoor cafe. We enjoyed a delicious meal and fascinating conversation. Then we went for a casual stroll in the lightly pouring rain as my daughter jumped into as many puddles as she could find. It was so enjoyable. The air was still and fresh from the rain. No one around. So peaceful.

It got me thinking. Perhaps this June and this winter could be different to the Junes and winters of the past.  You see this time of year can often bring many uncomfortable feelings for me.

I begin to reflect on the year so far. Then I start to worry. I worry about how am I going to keep warm enough in the cold. How has half the year flown past so quickly. How will I accomplish all that I had planned for this year. How much weight I could potentially gain. How low will my mood be at the end of the season.

In the Northern Hemisphere people have summer and vacations to look forward to in the middle of a year. Their winter is filled with traditional celebrations and festivities that compliment the freezing temperatures.

But here Down Under I do not think we have anything to look forward to unless you are an avid skier and trek to the mountains for snow season.

This year I want to change my relationship with mid-year and winter.  I am going to try something different - whenever the moment invites it and with purposeful intention. I am going to seek out festivals I have never attended before. I am going to spend more time outside. I am going to play in those puddles too. I know the uncomfortable feelings will revisit me. I also know they will pass - especially while I am keeping myself really busy discovering the beauties of this season.

So how do you experience June and Winter? Any suggestions on how to survive this time of year? I would love to hear from those of you who thrive in the cooler months.

People don't notice whether it's winter or summer when they're happy - Anton Chekhov





2 comments:

  1. I say follow your daughters lead. She has much to teach you about enjoying the cold. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Corinne this is so true. She never complains about being outside in the cold.

      Delete