Thursday 19 June 2014

will.i.am. I.am.a.fan!




So did you watch 'The Voice' showdowns on Monday night?

I recorded the show and have just viewed it. 

What I really like about this type of program is the coaching element. As a director, teacher and coach I love any opportunity to get a peek into other people's process (especially those who are internationally and commercially successful). While I think this year 'The Voice' is too over produced and is starting to feel like a reality TV show this showdown episode gave some great insight into how to (and how not to!) coach a performer. 

I was so excited by the coaching style of will.i.am. and I think one of his contestants delivered the best performance of the night. I really am getting why this guy is referred to as a genius.

will's instructions to his team were simple, specific and so doable. Totally doable. 
Do this here (singsong it, falsetto). 
Do it like this (stab it like 'benny and the jets'). 
Have fun (I can't sing good like you but I have way more fun than you). 
I was also inspired by his creative interpretation of the songs. I think he really demonstrated the concept of making something your own. 

As I write this I can hear the alternative argument in my head. 
'I don't like it when the director doesn't give me the space to discover it for myself.' 
'I don't like being told move here, say it like this, look this way.'
You know what? Just doing something one hundred percent will open you up to discoveries you will never have imagined.

It does not matter what your creative pursuit is or what role you are in (director/actor, coach/client, expert/fan girl) - simple and specific and doable instructions (directions and guidelines) give the foundation from which creatives can improvise and create...... anything!

Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated - Confucius



2 comments:

  1. I haven't watched 'The Voice" I will have to check it out

    ReplyDelete
  2. Will I Am is so funny on The Voice here in England too! But you're right, he often gives the best advice as he is simple and direct. Great statement about life, we do so often over-complicate things!x

    ReplyDelete