Monday 4 May 2015

With compliments!


Last Thursday I washed my hair.  As I was styling it (and my self) my mind was filled with self-deprecating thoughts. You know - these kind of thoughts......
Oh my god!! Look at that hair/face/body- the color/style/shape/everything is so hideous/revolting/wrong/ugly/a joke!!! 

Yes - those kind of thoughts. As the day went on EVERY single person I met complimented me on how I looked.
Oh your hair/dress/make up looks great!  It really suits you. I love the color.

Seriously I received compliments like theses for days! And each and every time I (defensively) responded with a quick retort like

Oh it's just a facade!  It's not how I feel on the inside. Oh really cos I hate it! 

Why could I not simply accept these kind words with the grace and love in which they were given? I know I am not alone in my response.

One friend suggested that if I just let the words sink in they may 'work on me'.   Hmmm ....... I hope I get another opportunity soon to explore this strategy - keep my mouth shut or say a simple 'thank you' and let the compliments work their magic.

Have you been complimented lately? How did you respond?  Do you have a favorite compliment?

I much prefer a compliment, even if insincere, to sincere criticism - Plautus

4 comments:

  1. I also have those days where I feel totally unattractive. I am overweight and really feel self-conscious about it on some days. Other days I don't really care and if people don't like you because of your size then they probably aren't really the people you need in your life. I too had a day filled with compliments today as I had my hair done on the weekend. I also find it hard to kjust accept compliments but I will do better if you do. We are beautiful we just need to OWN it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Karen. Thanks so much for sharing this. It's amazing the 'good' a visit to the hairdressers can do. I'm so happy to see you in this space too!

      Delete
  2. It's always strange to receive compliments when you're feeling particularly awful about yourself. I've found a simple 'thank you' helps me accept it. It's taken me a long time to get to this though. I hope you feel better about you soon.

    ReplyDelete