Saturday 2 May 2015

The cup of life - what's in yours?


The cup of life - ale ale ale! Do you remember this song? Check out it here for a fun reminder.

Boy it's been a rough couple of weeks for the world hasn't it? The theme of life and death has been front and centre of every media conversation and very difficult to avoid.

For me my dog went into heart failure, survived but has a much shortened life expectancy. So the question of 'what to do when my puppy's moment comes?' was explored. I required some medical tests which brought me a night of worry (and tears). I was flooded by the question 'what would happened to my daughter if I was no longer here?' Then an elderly relative was admitted into hospital with pneumonia. She has a terminal illness and the time to say goodbye is closer then it's ever been before.

Thankfully all three of us are alive and kicking and I have the luxury to ponder over these questions while so many in the world today do not.

My child sometimes asks me 'mummy when are you going to die?' My response is easy. 'I don't know darling because it's a mystery'.

The inevitability of death is something we rarely have control over. However we can have a lot of choice over how we live our lives. We have control over how we will replenish our own 'cup of life'. And it's in these difficult times that a 'full cup' can support us the most.

So I ask myself some more questions - what do I like to have in my cup? What's missing from my cup right now? What is always in my cup that I sometimes overlook?

My ideal cup of life looks something like this:
  • A heap of fun times and laughter with family and friends 
  • Cuddles and hugs 
  • Sunshine 
  • Both lighthearted and deep and meaningful conversation 
  • Fresh sheets 
  • Smiles and hellos 
  • Chocolate
  • Learning something new 
  • Engaging work 
  • Down time 
  • Gratitude 
I could keep going! I need a lot to fill this cup of mine. 

What about you - how do you fill your cup of life?

When you have nobody you can make a cup of tea for, when nobody needs you, that's when I think life is over - Audrey Hepburn




2 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry to hear about your rough week. Wishing you all the best. I really like your ideal cup of life! This was a great prompt, unfortunately I'm too tired tonight to give it the thought it deserved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and enjoy your cup of peppermint tea!

      Delete